Monday, March 30, 2009

Pierogi

It's semi-traditional in our family that when we get together for Easter, we have Pierogies (I'm calling them Pierogies, because without the "ies" at the end, it just sounds wrong, although technically its correct...whatever...my blog, my rules).

Anyway - I decided to make Pierogies for everyone...and I do mean everyone. I thought, "Well, if I'm making 100 for Easter, I might as well make some to freeze...then I'm sure Mom would want some to freeze and so would Carol. Then I started thinking that Justin's parents liked them last time I made them..so I should make some for them...." Then I talked about it at work and offered a couple of people there some...and before I knew it, I was going to make about 300. Then when we couldn't find any round won ton wrappers (that's right, its a super easy way to cheat out of making your own dough) after the 4th store, Justin bought 12 packages (of 60 wrappers each package) just to be sure I had enough...So my original 300 turned into 720. I gave up after 600.

Here are some pictures from the pierogi making process:

First I chopped onions, well, honestly the food processor did the work:
From Blog Photos


Then I chopped mushrooms (man, that food processor is a work horse) and then sauteed them with the onions:
From Blog Photos


From Blog Photos


Here is the strained cheese mixture:
From Blog Photos


Here is my station all set up and ready to go:
From Blog Photos


And because I can't flute the edges like my sister can, I have to use a pierogi devise (which I'm going to buy 4 more of and have a pierogi making party the next time I decide to make 600 of them!)
From Blog Photos

From Blog Photos

From Blog Photos

From Blog Photos


Then you have to freeze them in individual layers so they don't stick together. After they are frozen, I put them in bags...there are about 8 gallon sized bags full of them.
From Blog Photos


Yep, I'm crazy.

No comments: