Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Boss

We are having a Superbowl party. I didn't want to have one because of the cost, hey, everyone has to keep costs down in this economy, right? So we are having the party economy style...aka a potluck. Perfect solution!

I'm not blogging about a Superbowl party...my blog is to express my fondness for the halftime show this year. If you haven't heard, it's Bruce Springsteen. The very mention of The Boss takes me back to being 10 years old where you would find a dreamy-eyed expression on my face...ahhh, Bruce Springsteen. For my 10th birthday I received my first record player and my first three albums:

1. She's So Unusual - Cyndi Lauper
2. The Return of Bruno - Bruce Willis (I'm probably the only one who has that album)
1. Born in the USA (ahhh, sorry off in my own dreamy world again)
From Blog Photos


Springsteen is one of the very few people on my list to still see in concert. And aside from the school girl crush I had on him, I find him still amazing, after all of these years. I have to admit I do have this thing for songwriters, probably because I don't believe I'm capable of witting a song myself. I believe it takes such courage to put your music (art, writing, anything creative) out in the world to be judged and picked apart.

Springsteen's lyrics are down to earth, sometimes mundane, sometimes inspiring or gloomy and haunting. Just listen to My Hometown, both sad and nostalgic at the same time - so brilliant.

As I've gotten older, so has my appreciation for Bruce Springsteen's songs and lyrics. I know that for the Superbowl halftime show, he will pick songs that are meant to rev up the crowd, his up-tempo classics. But it's his his slow, methodical and haunting songs that I have such an appreciation for. Ahhhh, Bruce Springsteen.

No comments: