Friday, March 30, 2007

Cravings...

Last night I had the weirdest cravings and so Justin and I went to the store to satisfy them. Last night for dinner we ate the following: Hot n' Spicy Johnsonville Brats with sauteed onions. Which in itself was a way out of the ordinary craving...because I have never had a Brat, sausages yes, but a Brat no. And with sauteed onions...nope. But then this was the thing that got me. I wanted braised carrots with the Brats. I have never made braised carrots before and never remember liking them enough to crave 'em. So I checked out a recipe online and made up my own from that:

1 lb frozen sliced carrots
1 can chicken broth
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
Put all in a small pot, cook on medium for a while until carrots are heated through and most of the liquid is gone. Kick it up to high until the rest of the liquid is gone. Take the pot off the heat...toss in 2 more tablespoons of butter. (I never said this was low fat.) Mix and let the butter glaze the carrots. SUPER YUM!

The Brats I cooked according to the instructions, but instead of using water to "poach" them, I used beer. Is there any other way?? I put them on sliced Sarah Lee sandwich rolls, cut the Brat in half, put onions over the top and dipped away in mustard.

I am not sure why the cravings, but goodness it made a fabulous dinner. Completely hit the spot.

Hmmm...will I be having left overs for lunch? Yep. (But not the carrots, we finished those off last night.)

No comments: